The star of some of the best and most unconventional American films in recent history, Johnny Depp has also been a source of media fascination since the 90s. His film roles have always been idiosyncratic, earning him international respect and adoration—from Edward Scissorhands, Ed Wood, and Donnie Brasco to his surprising star turn as the swashbuckling Captain Jack Sparrow in Pirates of the Caribbean, which earned him an Oscar nomination for Best Actor.
His good looks, oddball charm, have helped push him into the limelight and kept him there. Johnny Depp's life, is like the story of a boy with a troubled childhood, succeeding in face of adversity to become one of the biggest stars of Hollywood.
- Depp was born on June 9, 1963, in Kentucky, the youngest of four children. There used to be constant tension between his parents and to deal with the stress Depp began smoking, experimenting with drugs, at the age of 12. After his parents divorce, 16 year old Depp dropped out of school to join a garage band.
- Depp was originally interested in pursuing a music career. In 1984, Depp forayed into films by acting in minor roles and got his major break in the film Nightmare on Elm Street.
- Nicolas Cage got him his first acting job.
- In 1987, Depp got the lead role in a popular TV series 21 Jump Street, which made him a star. In 1990, he starred in movies like Cry-Baby and Edward Scissorhands which established him as a successful film actor.
- Trade Mark : Frequently plays freakishly eccentric outcasts whose oddities are misunderstood by society, and usually have a flamboyant appearance and mannerism. Examples: Edward Scissorhands (1990), Ed Wood (1994), Don Juan DeMarco (1994), Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas (1998), the "Pirates of the Caribbean"trilogy. Frequently works with director Tim Burton
- Arrested for being in a fight with paparazzis in front of a restaurant in London. Arrested for trashing a New York hotel room.
- Great admirer of Marlon Brando. He was also good friends with the legendary actor, who described Depp as one of the greatest actors of his generation.
- Has portrayed a real-life character in ten of his films.
- His performance as Edward Scissorhands in _Edward Scissorhands (1990)_ is ranked #22 on Premiere Magazine's 100 Greatest Performances of All Time (2006).
His performance as Captain Jack Sparrow in Pirates of the Caribbean: The Curse of the Black Pearl (2003) is ranked #79 on Premiere Magazine's 100 Greatest Performances of All Time (2006).
- Is the only actor to be nominated for the Oscar in the Lead Actor category in a Disney film (Pirates of the Caribbean: The Curse of the Black Pearl (2003)).
- Is scared of clowns, spiders, ghosts.
- Was Andy Wachowski and Lana Wachowski's very first choice for the role of "Neo" in The Matrix (1999). Since Depp wasn't considered a box-office friendly name, Warner Bros. decided on casting Keanu Reeves instead. Turned down the role of Jack Traven in action hit Speed (1994/I). Turned down the role of Bruce Banner in Hulk (2003).
- Donated $2 million to the Great Ormond Street Hospital in London. He gave the gift as thanks for the treatment his daughter Lily-Rose received at the facility in March 2007 after contracting an E. Coli infection that caused kidney failure.
- Johnny Depp island is called Little Halls Pond Cay and is situated in the Bahamas. The island cost the star $3.6 million. The island has a few cottages and is accessible only by seaplane, boat or helicopter, ensuring privacy from paparazzi. Johnny Depp island has some of the world's most beautiful reefs, six white sand beaches, a private harbor and a lagoon. As the Caribbean island is located in the protected Exuma Land and Sea Park, Depp has ensured that his island runs exclusively on eco-friendly solar power.
- As of 2011, his favorite characters played are Jack Sparrow, Edward Scissorhands, and Ed Wood. He has expressed interest in getting French, British or Australian citizenship when he retires from an active movie career.
Johnny Depp Quotes :
"Anything I've done up till 27 May, 1999 was kind of an illusion, existing without living. My daughter, the birth of my daughter, gave me life."
"The only creatures that are evolved enough to convey pure love are dogs and infants."
"America is dumb. It's like a dumb puppy that has big teeth that can bite and hurt you, aggressive. My daughter is four, my boy is one. I'd like them to see America as a toy, a broken toy. Investigate it a little, check it out, get this feeling and then get out."
"I'm shy, paranoid, whatever word you want to use. I hate fame. I've done everything I can to avoid it."
"Sure, I find it touching, honestly, but awards are not as important to me as when I meet a ten-year-old kid who says, "I love Captain Jack Sparrow" . . . that's real magic for me. "
"All the amazing people that I've worked with - Marlon Brando, Al Pacino, Dustin Hoffman - have told me consistently: don't compromise. Do your work, and if what you're giving is not what they want, you have to be prepared to walk away."
Johnny Depp survived the perils of adolescent heartthrob status to earn a reputation as a respected actor. His numerous collaborations with director Tim Burton, as well as solid performances in a number of critically acclaimed films, have allowed Depp to carve a niche for himself as a serious performer.
To date, Johnny Depp has been nominated twice for an Oscar as well as five Golden Globes(Won one Golden Globe); and has won an Honorary Cesar from the French. Although he has been rewarded with a star on Hollywood's Walk of Fame, it is discouraging that a man of such a diverse acting magnitude has yet to be credited with the praise and awards that are righteously due.
Johnny Depp - Wikipedia