My Favorite Movies from the Year I Fell to Earth




                                     “We are put on this planet only once, and to limit ourselves to the familiar is a crime against our minds” said the great movie critic Roger Ebert. The medium of cinema is one among the many things that helps us to break through the limitations either we voluntarily embrace or placed upon us. Cinema has and will continue to enlighten my thought process. Along with great literature, the cinematic art had made me ponder over my finite life period in this vast, infinite universe. It has provided me the much-needed comfort when loneliness and depression had persecuted my mind; or jerked me out of the comfort zone to understand and explore the unfamiliar. 


                                       I was born on June 23rd, 1987. And, what else would a cinephile (with a blog would) think on his birthday other than come up with a new movie list for his small circle of readers? So, here are my 23 favorite movies from the year I arrived at Earth:



1.        Nayakan     [director: Mani Ratnam]


2.       Full Metal Jacket    [dir: Full Metal Jacket]


3.     The Last Emperor   [dir: Bernado Bertolucci]


4.     Withnail and I      [dir: Bruce Robinson]


5.     Empire of the Sun   [dir: Steven Spielberg]


6.    The Untouchables   [dir: Brian De Palma]


7.    Goodbye, Children  [dir: Louis Malle]


8.    The Cyclist     [dir: Mohsen Makhmalbaf] 


9.    Wings of Desire   [dir: Wim Wenders]


10.   Matewan      [dir: John Sayles]


11.   Red Sorghum      [dir: Zhang Yimou] 


12.   House of Games   [dir: David Mamet]


13.   Pelle the Conqueror    [dir: Bille August]



14.    The Dead     [dir: John Huston]


15.    Blind Chance    [dir: Krystzof Kieslowski]


16.   Broadcast News   [dir: James L. Brooks]


17.   Hope and Glory    [dir: John Boorman, Lasse Hallstrom]


18.   Radio Days [dir: Woody Allen]  


19.   Where Is the Friend’s Home?    [dir: Abbas Kiariostami] 


20.   Babette’s Feast   [dir: Gabriel Axel]


21.   The Princess Bride   [dir. Rob Reiner]


22.   Robocop   [dir: Paul Verhoeven] 


23.    The Moromete Family [dir: Stere Gulea]


1 comment:

Ravi said...

Greetings for the day.

Happy movies!!